This is a NEW one day refresher course designed by Avalanche Canada in 2016. It is meant for graduates of AST1 or AST2 who are looking to refresh their skills. The MAT will be based in the field and will focus on planning, backcountry travel, using decision making tools in avalanche terrain, and companion rescue. Get ready for some pre-course reading and a full day in the field at a site to be determined based on best snow conditions in the Monashee or Selkirk Ranges.
Prerequisites for the MAT
- AST1 or AST2.
- You should have a minimum of at least 10 backcountry days.
- You should be proficient skiing/boarding in powder up to at least 35 degrees in open and treed terrain.
- Your fitness should be sufficient for you to complete a tour of at least 3,000 vertical feet.
- Check out the Trip Planner and Slope Specific Decision Tool along with the discussion paper. You will get much more out of the course if you have read this in advance.
- Make yourself familiar with the Avalanche Canada Website.
- Look at the Equipment List. It is your responsibility to have all the gear in working order before the course starts.
- All students are required to sign a waiver at the beginning of the course. See a copy of the Waiver under Student Resources.
- Preparation will help make the experience more positive for you. I’m looking forward to meeting you in the MAT Course.
We will meet at 7:30 a.m. at a location TBD based on snow conditions. We will be in the field for most of the day and will finish by 5:00 p.m.