We ran two 8-day AST2+ programs during the winter of 2019-20. Here are some of the highlights (photo credits: Mark Sena, Spencer Skerget, Angelique Rosenthal).
- We started each course a day early at Shon’s Hostel in Nakusp. We got to know each other while reviewing the program for the week. We also feasted on Chef Tyler’s meals. We will use this format for all lodge-based courses in the future!
- Good stability enabled us to do the famed Hilda Traverse Tour. A boot pack on each of the three ups, three epic downs, jaw-dropping scenery, and a fun group of people make for a great day!
3. A stormy day was the perfect time to rest legs and practice snow science. It also set us up for deep powder runs the last two days of the trip.
4. A moose was testing the stability for us.
5. I feel privileged to run these courses in the perfect setting for teaching avalanche education. Every student becomes a better leader and tactician for selecting the appropriate terrain for any given condition.